On 15th June, John Mottram will talk on “Mountain Rescue”.
On 20th July, Jonathan Oates will talk on “St. Chad”
Derwent Valley Mills Discovery Days / WWI Anniversary
- Roy & Sheila will lead a walk around the Village on Saturday 27th Oct.
- We have booked the Village Hall for Saturday 27th October, 12.00 – 17.00, for a Historical Exhibition with a WWI theme. We will exhibit items from our Archive and other sources, relative to WW1.
- Liz Lockwood is working on an analysis of Darley soldiers who returned safely and the links they had in the village.
- Mike Taylor will have WW1 Memorabilia from the British Legion on display.
- The Church will be promoting the seven Darley men who died in the War with their biographies in the Church magazine.
- Some work is being done in respect of the Lusitania victims commemorated in the churchyard – Vicar Peter is giving a talk on this on Tues. 26th June at 2.30pm in the Fellowship Room..
- DACA/FODOS has planted trees in the Shrubbery to commemorate the seven Darley soldiers along with other plants.
- Finally, there will be a knitted poppy trail.
- We need your ideas for DAHG to commemorate this 100yr. anniversary in November. Contact via email please.
And by October, there will be many more activities.
Hall Shrubbery and Ice-House / Game Larder Site
The City Archaeologist has given his advice on the value of an IH/GL restoration project in the shrubbery. He thinks that the archaeology is best left covered to avoid costly repairs and possible vandalism. We now agree with him.
We have contacted FODOS/DACA with a revised plan to have a mock-up stone/brick platform, laid above the IH/GL foundations, along with an Interpretation Board showing photos of the finds etc.
Ice-House Dig Pottery
The medieval pottery finds from the Ice-House dig have been passed to a pottery expert to assess its character, place of manufacture and age. Some of it may have been made at the local Duffield potteries at Burley Hill and King St. We may need to seek funding for this study.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) legislation came into force on 25th May 2018. Following the issue of a Special Newsletter on the subject we ask that you communicate with the HonSec, via the documents in the “Download” section of the Blog, to advise us of your requirements. [Also, see the next page.]
Admin – We still need a Librarian for the Group. We also need new Committee Members. The Group does not run itself – it needs volunteers. If you are willing to volunteer, please step forward !
Tony Lintott’s Notes
On the 21st and 22nd of July the National Trust will be re-digging foundations found at Calke Abbey in 2016. See http://www.allenarchaeology.co.uk/calke-abbey-live-archaeology-2016/ These are amazingly similar foundations to those we found in our Ice House Dig last year. Why not go to Calke and have a look?
“Wonders of the Peak” by Mobile – https://www.wondersofthepeak.org.uk/ – Explore the Valley by Smartphone!
Although referred to already, it is worth a reminder that we now have a “Download” section in this Website/Blog. This is the list of what is there to date and any item can be freely downloaded.
- The Ice House – The final report from T&PA
- The Ice House – DAHG Leaflet
- The Final Ice House Presentation by Tony Lintott
- Explore the Derwent Valley with Pocket Wonders
- DAHG Membership Application Form
- DAHG Archive holdings – 2017
- DAHG Book Catalogue – 2017
- DAHG Projects list – 2018
Contact and Access
Don’t forget to use our DAHG email address, firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch.
We’d be happy to hear from you and we’re happy to include your thoughts or stories in the Newsletter and Blog to make them even more interesting. Contact us via email.
Alan Bradwell – Newsletter Editor
Tony Lintott – Website / Blog Editor