NEWSLETTER JULY 2024 No 140

 DARLEY  ABBEY  HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

July  2024.   No. 140

 Editor :- Alan Bradwell  (Tel.  557203)

Meetings

The Events and Programme of Talks for 2024, arranged by Marie, is on our website.

Our next Meetings are :-

19 July 2024  —  “ The Charter and the Battle “    by  Bob  Massey.

16 August 2024  —  No Public Meeting —  Committee Members only.

20 September 2024  —  “To be announced”  by  Brian  Stone.

Events

Chairman Marie has had her hip operation and is recovering gently at home.  Alan will be heading DAHG until she can return.

Research  Nothing to report this month.

Memories

Liz has extracted this interesting piece on Darley Park by Philip Lowe from ‘Facebook’.

“I just wanted to share my latest nostalgic thoughts on 1960s family trips to local parks near Derby like Chaddesden Park and Darley Park. It’s part of my writing for my book ‘Scouting For Monty Python’ and written in a way that I hope will amuse. For those too young to remember, children’s play areas weren’t always Health and Safety heaven back in the time I refer to.

Most Summers we would walk or cycle down to the lovely park near Derby called Darley Park. This attractive park was a place of two distinct halves divided by the river Derwent as it approached Derby Town via a weir. One side had the rowing club and a bowling green and was flat ground near the river with willow trees at the river’s edge rising quite steeply to a path that led to the tiny village of Darley Abbey. At the furthest end the Derby City Council Parks and Gardens Department tended some beautiful raised flower beds and there was a café selling Afternoon Tea and ice creams. The other flatter side of the big park was dedicated to ball sports and had tennis courts, areas marked out for cricket, football and rugby. This is where we casually tossed down our picnic blanket and picnic basket (obliviously close to a red ants’ nest) and enjoyed some picnic fare in the blazing sun. We even joined in a particular violent sport – the sport of batting away vicious wasps and determined armies of invading, desperate for a sugar fix, ants.

[Handy tip for dealing with bee and wasp stings learnt in the Scouts. Wasp stings are alkaline but bee stings are acidic. Bee stings contain formic acid so you would want to use something alkaline to neutralise it. So, all you brave lads and lasses, if you get stung you need to put bicarbonate of soda on a bee sting and vinegar on a wasp sting – the vinegar being acidic.]

It might have been walking home from one of those eventful Darley Park picnics that my step sister Dawn unwisely trod in some pink -coloured dog poo. Dawn didn’t realise it was all plastered to the sole of her sandals until she unwittingly trailed it through the house to much arm waving and protesting from our parents. It has gone down in family history that Dawn insisted it wasn’t dog poo. No, not dog poo at all. It was salmon paste on her sandal in actuality. A quick scratch and sniff test proved her very wrong about the pong.”

From Philip Lowe – post on Facebook Derby Past and Present Group

Copied with permission.

Books etc. …..

We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.

An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.

Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.  

As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.

Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com

NEWSLETTER JUNE 2024 No 139

DARLEY ABBEY HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

June 2024. No. 139

Editor :- Alan Bradwell (Tel. 557203)

Meetings

The Events and Programme of Talks for 2024, arranged by Marie, is on our website.

Our next Meetings are :-

21 June 2024 — “ Women in the English Civil War “ by Helen Chambers.

19 July 2024 — “ The Charter and the Battle “ by Bob Massey.

Events

Chairman Marie has had her hip operation and is recovering gently at home. Alan will be heading DAHG until she can return.

Open Day — 20th year Celebration took place on Sunday 9th. June 2024, 11am to 2pm. We set up the following and there was a steady flow of visitors :-

n Refreshments by Helen and Anne Lintott, helped by Pat Taylor.

n Second-hand books for sale;

n DAHG Booklets 1 – 20 for sale;

n DAHG Reports to browse and borrow;

n Slide-show of Darley Abbey photos – old & new.

n Exhibition of Display Boards on Recent Research in Darley – Lawn Resistivity;

Evans Family photos; Evans Family Wax Seals; WWI & II Darley soldiers; St. Matthew’s Church records.

Old maps & Paintings of Darley Abbey;

Thanks to all Volunteers who set up tables and screens, manned stalls and dismantled everything so quickly before 2pm, when a Childrens’ Party started promptly. John says we took £116, half of which was from the excellent refreshments.

Village wall collapses

Two massive stone walls in the Village have collapsed recently, probably due to the heavy rains swelling the soil – in Derwent Park, the garden wall has fallen in two places; on Mileash Lane the garden wall to the bungalows fell into the road. DCC have made it safe and traffic is diverted around it. No historical evidence was revealed ! (see Photo’s below)

Wildflower Garden Volunteers.

Janet Dean of this Group asked Alan if he could demonstrate by dowsing where the field drains crossed underneath the walled gardens, in case these could be useful to the group for a water supply. There are 12 pipes/culverts cross The Grove into the gardens (see DAHG Report No. 22/2007) and we detected several of them. Several group members tried dowsing them and were successful. You may have noticed in the Arboretum to the south of the gardens (the dog-walk) that there are several really muddy patches on the paths where the pipes are probably leaking.

Research

Following our series of resistivity tests on the hole in the Village Hall Lawn (thanks to Andy Austen of Repton LHGroup), Alan has produced a Report (DAHG Report No. 120/2024) summarising the results of these and earlier (2008) tests by D. Arch. Soc. The hole is not too deep (2m.) and is not a well; the tests indicate there is probably stonework beneath the lawn.

Books etc. …..

We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.

An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.

Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.

As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.

Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com

Above 1 – 6 descending :-
1 Mileash Lane – the Collapse.
2 Mileash Lane – the Repair.
3 Derwent Park – The Collapse No.1.
4 Derwent Park – The Collapse No. 2.
5 Wildlife Garden Volunteers – at work in the wonderful gardens.
6 Wildlife Garden Volunteers – Tea break.

Alan Bradwell, – 17 June 2024

NEWSLETTER MAY 2024 No 138

DARLEY ABBEY HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

May 2024. No. 138

Editor :- Alan Bradwell (Tel. 557203)

Meetings

The Events and Programme of Talks for 2024, arranged by Marie, is on our website.

Our next Meetings are :-

17 May 2024 — Unfortunately Robert Mee cannot give his Talk “ Classified “ on this date, but Liz has booked Paul Sturges to give his talk “ Derby in the 1950’s “ at short notice; thanks Liz.

21June 2024 — “ Women in the English Civil War “ by Helen Chambers.

19 July 2024 — “ The Charter and the Battle “ by Bob Massey.

Events

Open Day — 20th year Celebration We have settled for Sunday 9th. June 2024, 11am to 2pm, after the Saturday slot we wanted in the Village Hall was booked. This is a break with tradition, but there are more people in the Park on Sundays.

We will set up the following :-

Refreshments by Helen Lintott.

Second-hand books for sale;

DAHG Booklets 1 – 20 for sale;

DAHG Reports to browse and borrow;

DAHG Book-stock to browse and borrow;

Slide-show of Darley Abbey photos – old & new;

Exhibition of Display Boards on Recent Research in Darley – Lawn Resistivity;

Evans Family photos; WWI & II Darley soldiers; St. Matthew’s Church records;

Old maps & Paintings of Darley Abbey;

Painting Exhibition and sale by Darley Abbey Thursday Painters;

Volunteers needed at 10.30 to set up tables and screens, to man stalls and to dismantle after 2pm. Put your name on the list to give some idea of numbers.

Research

St. Matthew’s Church Records – This new project on sorting and indexing the records stored in the church requires more volunteers before it can begin; it was scheduled for “after Easter”. The paper records are stored in various rooms, and in the tower of the church and are in need of protection from decay. Barrie has started the work by photocopying all the relevant Darley material from the scrapbooks which Canon Blades collected in the 1970’s. If you have skills for sorting and indexing (possibly at home), for photographing and for setting up databases, please sign up. DAHG could gain much new information about Darley from

this project, so please volunteer – contact Liz / Barrie on 01332 832024 or bplockwood@gmail.com

Calke After the talk by Colin Stewart on “Industrial Calke” at the February Meeting, he asked whether DAHG Members would like a guided walk around the features he described ( caves, dripping well, searchlight base, tunnels, ruins). The walk would be about 3.5 miles and about 2.5 hours duration, with some rough ground. On 27.4.24.Colin led a walk, which was enjoyed by all, despite the cold weather. For those who missed out, Colin would be happy to lead further walks. A group of 10 – 20 adults at no cost, other than the entry fee to Calke Park (approx.. £9) (free to National Trust members). Dates in May (not Wednesdays) also have been suggested. If you want to join, contact Marie on 01332 552837. If not enough are interested, there are public walks you can join on 19th and 27th May. – contact Colin on colin.ann.stew@gmail.com

Books etc. …..

We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.

An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.

Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.

As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.

Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com

Alan Bradwell, – 12 May 2024

NEWSLETTER APRIL 2024 N0 137

DARLEY ABBEY HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

April 2024. No. 137

Editor :- Alan Bradwell (Tel. 557203)

Meetings

The Events and Programme of Talks for 2024, arranged by Marie, is on our website.

Our next Meetings are :-

19 April 2024 — “Staffordshire and Derbyshire Pottery” by Maggie Slingsby.

17 May 2024 — “Derby in the 50’s” by Paul Sturges.

Events

Calke After the talk by Colin Stewart on “Industrial Calke” at the February Meeting, he asked whether DAHG Members would like a guided walk around the features he described ( caves, dripping well, searchlight base, tunnels, ruins). The walk would be about 3.5 miles and about 2.5 hours duration, with some rough ground. He would be happy to lead a group of 10 – 20 adults at no cost, other than the entry fee to Calke Park (approx.. £9) (free to National Trust members). Emails from members suggested 27th April would good if enough members opted in. Dates in May (not Wednesdays) also have been suggested, and 8 members have already signed up. If you want to join, contact Marie on 01332 552837. If not enough are interested, there are public walks you can join on 19th and 27th May. – contact Colin on colin.ann.stew@gmail.com

Red Brook. After the recent storms, the banks and the bed of Red Brook at the Folly Houses have been seriously eroded. The Environment Agency (EA) and its contractors have repaired the bed and banks with massive stonework to prevent erosion in the future. No new archaeology has been revealed, either by the floods or by the digging. It all looks very smart now.

Open Day. We have settled for Sunday 9th. June 2024, 11am to 2pm, after the Saturday slot we wanted in the Village Hall was booked. This is a break with tradition, but there are more people in the Park on Sundays. We are still open to ideas about what we will display :- Books ? Maps ? Plants ? Booklets ? Reports ? Display Boards ? Family Histories ? Let us have your ideas. Help needed in setting up and manning.

St. Matthew’s Church Records – This new project on sorting and indexing the records stored in the church requires more volunteers before it can begin; it was scheduled for “after Easter”. The paper records are stored in various rooms, and in the tower of the church and are in need of protection from decay. Barrie has started the work by photocopying all the relevant Darley material from the scrapbooks which Canon Blades collected in the 1970’s. If you have skills for sorting and indexing (possibly at home), for photographing and for setting up databases, please sign up. DAHG could gain much new information about Darley from this project, so please volunteer – contact Liz / Barrie on 01332 832024 or bplockwood@gmail.com

The Dell Pond

During the last months’ rains there has been a puddle on the path below the steps in the lower Dell at St. Hugh’s Close and it is slowly flowing water. There used to be a pond here on Village Farm, and also the stone entrance arch to an underground stream and reservoir. I wonder if they are related – is the stream blocked and is leaking ? Has anyone contacted DCC or seen any activity on the site ? Or is it just the consequence of too much rain?

Great Northern Railway (GNR)

Liz has researched about the GNR and its routes and remnants in Darley Park.

FRIARGATE TO DUKE STREET SIDINGS

Derby’s least known railway

The Railways came to Derby in 1839 with the formation of the Midland Railways (latterly the Midland Mail Line.) By comparison the Great Northern Railway came late to Derby in 1870s creating a Derbyshire – Staffordshire branch to transport coal from Derbyshire coalfields down to London. The Derby section was centred around Friargate Station and ran out to Nottingham and south to Burton on Trent. For the goods line GNR purchased land along the bank of the river Derwent to the south of Darley Park centred around Duke Street.

Duke Street was reached via a spur off the main line travelling North from Friargate into Darley Grove for approx. ¾ mile, and then reversing, under the main line (next to the Handyside bridge) and travelling south alongside the river into the goods yard. In 1876 GNR advertised for contractors to build the line including Friargate Station and good yards and the Duke Street Sidings, Derby Mercury on 8th March :-

“The Great Northern Railway company to Railway Contractors: Tender for section 4: Through Town of Derby

The tender for this line, includes the construction of a passenger station at Friargate, up to the levels of the Platforms and a goods or coal yard at Duke Street with sidings thereto. Sealed tenders to be submitted by Thursday 6th April”

Only three weeks later GNR announced the successful contractor for this work and this was reported in the Derby Mercury on April 26th

“The Section through Derby of the new branch of the GNR has been let to the ebullient contractors Messer’s Benton and Woodwiss, There was no real formal commencement of the work but a few friends assembled in a field in Darley Grove where a ceremony of cutting of the first sod was performed.”

The total cost of the Derby Section including Friargate station and yard, as well as the Duke Street Sidings across the town, was given as £85,711. Much of the ironworks for the station and bridges was produced at the Handysides Ironworks.

For the bridge across the Derwent by Darley Grove, Handysides first erected the bridge in the yard of their Fox Street works, only half a mile away, before placing it in position over the river in the latter part of 1877. At the council’s insistence a footway was added to the bridge to allow access over the river. This was removed at some stage leaving the bridge as it is now.

In this year the Derby Mercury bemoaned that [Darley Grove] ‘this once lovely spot so dear to the past generation should have been so transmogrified by GNR’, in fact the Grove retained much of its former charm with trees bordering the ash ballasted tracked and boat houses dotted along the river bank. The Duke Street site was close to the river and was already busy with mills and foundries. To gain access for the line numerous terrace cottages in Duke Street and River Street had to be demolished as well as the Old Britannia public house and part of the plaster works. The Furnace Inn maintained its position seemingly in the middle of the goods yard – a haven for the workers!

The Friargate line opened to freight traffic on Jan 28 1878 and the main line was opened two days later with dignitaries travelling on a special train from Grantham. (Due to the landslips at Breadsall the Board of Trade officially declared the railway safe to open to passengers in April) Derby Mercury 30 Jan 1878

From the start it was a busy yard with a wharfe to exchange trade with the Derby Canal. The main customers were Handysides Britannia Foundry and the Bath Street Mills. The yard was extended in 1906 and 1913 adding sidings to the flour mill and the oil tanks. It is thought that at some time there were buildings/sheds at the end of the Darley Grove shunt for equipment/offices during the various extension works. There are very few photos of the sidings in their hey day and certainly none showing the shunters working the line. The nearest is a photo of a 0-6-0 shunter on the approach to the sidings.

With the First World War and the 1921 Railway Act the fortunes of GNR changed as it amalgamated with London Northern Railways. With the rise of road haulage, freight traffic to the goods yard started to decline. In addition one of the main customers, the Handyside Britannia Works suffered its second bankruptcy and eventually folded altogether in 1931.

In 1947 the railways were nationalised and the further loss of the coal and scrap businesses led to the closure of the goods line on 31 Jan 1948 and with this the Duke Street Sidings became a road depot and stabling for condemned wagons and railway vans. The rails in Darley Grove were reportedly removed between 1952 and 1955 and the track bed became part of the park footpath from Derby through Darley Park.

Friargate Station and the passenger line were closed on May 6 1968 and the line was removed in 1969.

Details of the Shunt line

Length 1 mile 1.5 chains

Start Derby East box (off Friargate station platform)

Headshunt ( Darley Grove ) Length ¼ mile extended in 1899

Direction Parallel to main line, over Markeaton Brook, Beneath King Street and Arthur Street

Curve Past Site of Darley Lane Signal box and onto headshunt

Reverse Under main line and into Duke Street Goods Yard

Yard Equipment 10 ton Yard Crane Weighbridge

Customers Cement and Plaster works

Leech Neal and Co, Paint Works Maden & Ireland Shoe makers

Unwin Sowter, St Michaels Flour Mills

George Holme & Co Bath Street Mills

W B Shaw & Co Duke Street Mills

Andrew Handyside Britannia Foundry

Liz Lockwood – April 2024

—————————————————————————————————

Memories

The Maze in Darley Abbey Park

Andrew Thurman’s remembering as a lad seeing a sign in Darley Park near the toilets pointing to “The Maze” raised a few memories; but it seems there was no maze, only the series of terraces and footpaths in the arboretum, recently restored by DCC.

There are no new memories about the Maze. Does anyone else have any stories about the maze?

Books etc. …..

We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.

An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.

Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.

As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.

Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com

Alan Bradwell, – 16 April 2024

NEWSLETTER MARCH 2024 No 136

DARLEY ABBEY HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

March 2024. No. 136

Editor :- Alan Bradwell (Tel. 557203)

Meetings

The Events and Programme of Talks for 2024, arranged by Marie, is on our website.

Our next Meetings are :-

15 March 2024 — “The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway” by Eric Bouthbee.

19 April 2024 — “Staffordshire and Derbyshire Pottery” by Maggie Slingsby.

Events

Calke After the talk by Colin Stewart on “Industrial Calke” at the February Meeting, he asked whether DAHG Members would like a guided walk around the features he described ( caves, dripping well, searchlight base, tunnels, ruins). The walk would be about 3.5 miles and about 2.5 hours duration, with some rough ground. He would be happy to lead a group of 10 – 20 adults at no cost, other than the entry fee to Calke Park (approx.. £9) (free to National Trust members). Dates in May (not Wednesdays) have been suggested, and 6 members have already signed up. If you want to join, contact Marie on 01332 552837. If not enough are interested, there are public walks you can join on 19th and 27th May.

Red Brook. After the recent storms, the banks and the bed of Red Brook at the Folly Houses have been seriously eroded. The Environment Agency (EA) and its contractors have for the last few weeks been repairing the bed and banks with massive stonework to prevent erosion in the future. I went down to see the works (heavily fenced) last week to see if any new archaeology had been revealed, either by the floods or by the digging. The contractors said nothing had been found, and EA had restricted digging to repair work only.

Research

St. Matthew’s Church Records – This new project on sorting and indexing the records stored in the church requires more volunteers. The paper records are stored in various rooms, and in the tower of the church and are in need of protection from decay. The church wants to offer much of the material to the County Record Office and / or the Local Studies Library, but also some to DAHG, and this needs to be decided. If you have skills for sorting and indexing (possibly at home), for photographing and for setting up databases, please sign up. DAHG could gain much new information about Darley from this project, so please volunteer – contact Liz / Barrie on 01332 832024 or bplockwood@gmail.com

Allestree Park / Burley Hill Medieval Pottery.

On 5th March, Alan met with David Winslow of DCC Parks Dept. for a walk around the Burley Lane / A6 end of the Park, looking and Dowsing for the buried remains of the medieval (13th C. ?) pottery, known to be there from excavations by Derbyshire Archaeological Society in 1997 & 2007. A previous survey by Alan in 2017 was reported in DAHG Report No. 94/2018. DCC Parks are looking at the possibility of ‘wilding’ this field in the Park by planting wild

flowers, but some shallow surface work would be necessary before seeding, and it would be necessary to know where the buried features were. About 8 buildings were again detected and pipes and culverts. These may not be medieval buildings or even related to the pottery – they may be 1st or 2nd World War buildings. The archaeological digs did not reveal any buildings, only pottery. Our DAHG interest in this pottery in Allestree Park is because it may have been owned by the Abbey of Darley as part of its Burley Grange (Farm) up the hill, and because we found some Burley Hill pottery in our Ice-House dig. But it could also have been owned by Duffield castle up the road. DCC interest in the Park may lead to some investigation.

Memories

Andrew Thurman’s remembering as a lad seeing a sign in Darley Park near the toilets pointing to “The Maze” raised a few memories; but it seems there was no maze, only the series of terraces and footpaths in the arboretum, recently restored by DCC. But Liz has researched more memories below :-

The Maze in Darley Abbey Park

Last month Andrew Thurman asked if anybody shared his memories of the Maze in Darley Park. Some 60 years ago Andrew remembers ‘a finger sign pointing to the maze opposite where the Terrace Café is now. He said I asked my Mum or Dad to take me in there but they always said that it was closed. I’m not sure whether it was closed or if they didn’t want to get lost in there’.

A trawl through the newspapers did not flag up any evidence save the following from Clive Bellamy, talking to Bygone Derbyshire in the Derby Evening Telegraph dated 1991. Clive attended Derby’s Central School in the late 1950s and says that PE was outside in the summer with lovely views of the river and the cathedral but no other facilities. To play football or cricket it was a 25 minute walk through the village to Darley Fields before they could get changed.

Clive remembers that two areas of the school/ park were totally out of bounds: The first was the “Old Maze” situated right outside the front of the school however it was heavily policed by Bill. the Park Keeper. Nobody knew a single boy who dared to break Bills defence. The other area was the sixth form rooms which were situated right at the top of a narrow staircase in what was once the Servants Quarters of the Hall. The sixth formers, and only they, climbed those hallowed stairs – Baker, the Senior Prefect, made sure of that.

I posted a question on Facebook and I received the following replies;

Margaret Breslin remembers that ‘originally the maze was a path in front of the house where the Mulberry tree is/was. It wasn’t a proper maze, just a path that wound up and down. The path opposite the café had an old black gate and went up quite a steep path that eventually came to the hot house where the banana tree was next to the green house and the walled garden’.

Another lady remembers ‘there used to be a path opposite where the café is now which led to the maze and there were some ruined walls too, at least into the early 1960s’.

One of my colleagues at the Museum of Making also attended the Central School in the 1950s. He said that the maze was more like a path through the shrubs/shrubbery rather than a high hedge maze and wound up the hill. He did sneak in though he had to keep an eye out for the park keeper!

Does anyone else have any stories about the maze?

Liz Lockwood March 2024

Books etc. …..

We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.

An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.

Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.

As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.

Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com

Alan Bradwell, – 10 March 2024

NEWSLETTER FEBRUARY 2024 No 135

 DARLEY  ABBEY  HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

February  2024.   No. 135

 Editor :- Alan Bradwell  (Tel.  557203)

Meetings

The Events and Programme of Talks for 2024, arranged by Marie, is on our website.

Our next Meeting is :-

16 FEBRUARY 2024  —  “Industrial  Calke”    by  Colin  Stewart.

Events

At the December Meeting, Alan delivered a summary with slides of the research work in Darley in 2023, including Reports and Booklets issued, followed by a Fuddle of good food and conversation.

In January, the AGM Meeting went smoothly, when the Chairman and Treasurer gave their Reports for the Year 2023, which were accepted by the Members.  At the Election of Officers for the Group, Chairman Alan stepped down, as he had indicated earlier, and Secretary Marie Gibson was willing to stand as Chairwoman, and was duly elected by the Members present.  Marie took the Chair, and the existing Committee members, who were all willing to continue to serve in their posts, were re-elected by a show of hands of the Members.

As Marie steps up as Chairwoman, she cannot also act as Secretary and Talks Organiser.  She has completed the 2024 Talks Programme already, and Liz Lockwood has volunteered to organise the 2025 Programme.  But a Secretary is needed to keep Members informed and deal with enquiries, so please volunteer and contact Marie.

After the AGM, Liz Lockwood presented a run-down of the complexity of the Evans of Darley family-tree, and their roles in developing and managing the cotton mills  and their village, as well as managing their property at Boscobel House in Shropshire, now belonging to English Heritage.

Research

St. Matthew’s Church Records – A new project has arisen, prompted by John Bishop, who wanted help in sorting and indexing the records stored in the church.  The paper records are stored in various rooms, and in the tower of the church and are in need of protection from decay.  Liz and Barrie have had a meeting with John in the church to examine the records and have produced an 8-page summary of actions needed.  They conclude that the material needs to be stored better, and much needs to be photographed and indexed so that it can be stored and sorted digitally, so that it is known what is there.   The church wants to offer much of the material to the County Record Office and / or the Local Studies Library, but also some to DAHG, and this needs to be decided.

A second meeting was held at the church on 7th Feb. (JB & Colleagues plus MG, LL, BL & AB) to look at the material and discuss how to scan, record and store it digitally and when and where to carry out the work.

For this project to go forward, DAHG needs volunteers, for sorting and indexing (possibly at home), for photographing and for setting up databases.   DAHG could gain much new information about Darley from this project, so please volunteer – contact Liz / Barrie on 01332 832024 or bplockwood@gmail.com

Liz also got a mention in St. Matthew’s Parish Magazine for her research into two Darley men who were awarded OBE’s for service to the community, based on an article by John Bishop in that magazine, and which had already featured in our Newsletter.

Darley Fields

Andrew Thurman continues his research, from the Phillipines, into Deeds, Wills and land transactions in Darley.  He is chasing the location of some fields adjacent ‘Shroggs Close’, which he thinks is near ‘Olers Close’, the cricket field, and which is mentioned in several early (AD1600) Wills; if you can help, please contact him.  

Memories

 Andrew can also remember as a lad seeing a sign in Darley Park near the toilets pointing to “The Maze”, but he never saw it.  Can anyone remember it ?

  Please get in touch and share your memories.

Books etc. …..

We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.

An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.

Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.  

As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.

Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com Alan Bradwell,   –  6 February 2024

NEWSLETTER DECEMBER 2023 No 134

DARLEY ABBEY HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

December 2023. No. 134
Chairman & Editor:- Alan Bradwell (Tel. 557203)
Meetings
The Events and Programme of Talks for 2023/24, arranged by Marie, is on our website;
Our Talks Programme for the near future is:-

Friday 15th DECEMBER 2023 — ‘Review of Research in 2023’ by AB followed by Xmas Fuddle.
Bring food & drinks for yourself and to share – tea & coffee also available.

19 JANUARY 2024 — AGM and Election of Chair & Committee – followed by
A short talk by Liz Lockwood on “The Evans Family of Darley and Boscobel House”

Research
There are fewer opportunities for research in the Winter months, bur Andrew Thurman in the Phillipines continues to delve into the UK Archives. He gave us email-notice that an auction was coming up in which 85 early medieval parchment charters about the Abbey of Darley were being sold. They were indeed sold for £32,000 (but not to us !) and represent a possible source of new information about the Abbey, after they have been translated from the Latin. Andrew’s email and a typical charter are shown below.
“Memories”
No Memories this month. Please get in touch and share your memories.
Books etc. …..
We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.
An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.
Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.
As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.
Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com

Alan Bradwell, Chair – 10 December 2023

NEWSLETTER NOVEMBER 2023 No 133

DARLEY ABBEY HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

November 2023. No. 133
Chairman & Editor :- Alan Bradwell (Tel. 557203)
Meetings
The Events and Programme of Talks for 2023, arranged by Marie, is on our website;
Our Talks Programme for the near future is :-

17 NOVEMBER 2023 — “The Gretna Girls and the Devil’s Porridge” by David Skillen.

15 DECEMBER 2023 — ‘Review of Research in 2023’ by AB followed by Xmas Fuddle.
Bring food & drinks for yourself and to share – tea & coffee also available.

19 JANUARY 2024 — AGM and Election of Chair & Committee – followed by
A short talk by Liz Lockwood on “The Evans Family of Darley and Boscobel House”

Research
Walking through the Hall Stables Yard recently, I met the new owner of the site Alan Steel and his son JJ, who were renovating the basements under the Bakehouse as a work-place (Fig. 1). They showed me around the several rooms, which are fascinating. Several rooms have barrel roofs and beer-barrel racks (Figs. 2 & 3), very similar to the cellars under the Village Shop, which is a 15th C. part of the old Abbey (see our DAHG Report No. 09/2006 and DAJ No. 129/2009). The walls are pre-1784 brick-built, but are standing on large stone foundations, which could be 15th C. (Fig. 4). It is likely that these are another remnant of the Abbey, just like the main Stable foundations across the Yard. This suggests that the New Hall of 1727 might have been built on part of the Abbey ruins.

Figure 1 The Bakehouse and entrance to basement rooms.

Figure 2 Barrel roofs and beer-racks

Figure 3 Barrel roofs and beer-racks

Thanks to Alan for permission to visit and show photos.

Figure 4 Stone foundations below the red-brick walls.

“Memories”
No Memories this month. Please get in touch and share your memories.

Books etc. …..
We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.
An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.
Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.
As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.
Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com

Alan Bradwell, Chair – 16 November 2023

NEWSLETTER OCTOBER 2023 No 132

 DARLEY  ABBEY  HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

October  2023.   No. 132

Chairman & Editor:- Alan Bradwell  (Tel.  557203)

Meetings

The Events and Programme of Talks for 2023, arranged by Marie, is on our website;

 Our Talks Programme for the near future is :-

20 OCTOBER 2023 — “The Tudor House” by Colin Stewart.

17 NOVEMBER 2023 — “The Gretna Girls and the Devil’s Porridge” by David Skillen.

15 DECEMBER 2023 — ‘Research Roundup 2023 part 2’ by Alan Bradwell followed by Xmas Fuddle.

19 JANUARY 2024 — AGM and Election of Chair & Committee – followed by short talk -‘Thomas Evans, Darley Abbey Mills and Boscobel House’ by Liz Lockwood.

Events

On 27th Sept. your committee met informally to discuss new roles and responsibilities for the future.  All is well and will be revealed at the AGM in January.

Research

Liz Lockwood has put together the following research, initiated by John Bishop’s work on Darley Abbey Church gravestones

St Matthews Church Gravestones

John Bishop is currently digitising the monumental records for St Matthews Church.

He located a list made some 50 years ago which has been invaluable as over time many of the gravestones are badly worn and sadly some are illegible. I believe that the list will eventually be deposited at the Derbyshire Record Office and with the society and this will be invaluable for future research.

John mentioned that there were two gravestones that recorded both men had been awarded the OBE. One is Edward Hulse, Mayor of Derby during WW1 and the other, Norton Joseph Hallett Hughes, Clerk of the Peace for Derbyshire.

Edward James Hulse

Edward was born in 1875, the son of Edward and Kate Hulse. On the 1881 census he is listed as born in Derby and he spent his early life in Curzon Street.   Ten years later in 1891 he is shown as a scholar at Malvern School. It would seem he joined at the age of 16 and he excelled at sport as he was in the Shooting Eight and house cricket teams.

He left school at 18 after sitting the equivalent of A levels and he went straight into business with his father.  In 1899. Edward James married Hilda Gertrude Overs Bate. The marriage certificate shows that both Edward’s and Hilda’s fathers were Clothing Contractors. Two years later, Edward has moved to 180 Uttoxeter Road and he is listed as a Clothing Contractor. Latterly he is shown as the director of Messers J Smith and Co Ltd of Drewry Lane Derby.
Edward and his wife had 4 children 2 daughters and 2 sons (plus a handful of Servants) and on the 1911 census the family are shown as living at Oakdene, Duffield Road Derby, a substantial house having 14 rooms.

In these later years he started to take an active part in Derby life and was elected to the town council in 1912 following his appointment as a magistrate the year before. With the onset of the First World War Edward quickly rose through the ranks and was elected the Mayor of Derby in 1917. He also became the Head of the Food Control Committee here in Derby dealing with the rationing of food during the war. He was reported to have made a sizeable contribution and it is for this work he was awarded the OBE.

After standing down as Mayor at the end of the war he did stand for the Coalition in the General Election but had to withdraw before the election as it would appear that he had little or no support.   Sadly, Edward died on the 1 Dec 1920 at the age of 46. His obituary states that he had an astute business mind and devotion to duty. He was a keen follower of hounds at the Meynell Hunt and played tennis and golf. It also states that he was a Freemason. His estate was left to his sons and totalled £22 363.

Although he is buried in St Matthews Church, he is reported to be a well-known member of St Werburgh’s Church where he was church warden. So, what made him change?

Edward’s wife, Hilda also had an interesting career. In her obituary in the Skegness News, 1934, it states that she was Mayoress of Derby alongside her husband.   She also had many other public offices. She was the first female member of Derby Town Council and the first Derby woman to contest a parliamentary election. She was a representative of Derwent Ward and chairman of the Derby Woman’s Conservative Association in 1922.

During the First World War she was Commandant of a hospital for the wounded at Hays Leigh, Duffield Road and for this work she was awarded the MBE.   She was also a Justice for the Peace, a Governor of the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary and the Derby High School as well as a member of the National Council of Women and the Derby Society for the Help and Protection of Girls. She retired to Skegness in the early 1920s shortly after her husband died.

Norton Joseph Hallett Hughes

By comparison ,Norton Joseph was an incomer to Derby as he was born in Patrixborne Kent. The son of a vicar, Norton was born in 1854 and in the 1861 census is shown as living at the vicarage in Petham, Kent.   Interestingly his father James Hughes Hallett was born in Kent, but his mother Mary is listed as born in the East Indies. Her maiden name was Montresor and she was the daughter of Sir Thomas Gage Montresor. Thomas is claimed to be one of the oldest General officers in the British Army having spent over 70 years in service. Clearly, that side of the family was well loved as Norton’s son was named Norton Montressor Hallett Hughes.

By 1871 Norton Joseph is listed as a pupil at Hailey Berry College School, Great Armwell in Hertfordshire. On leaving school he studied law and is listed as a solicitor on the 1881 census. This census shows that he was a boarder at 73 Market Street, Ashby De La Zouche. It may be coincidental, but his wife Alice nee Denton is listed as born Ashby De La Zouche and her father was the local Vicar!

10 years later in 1891 Norton is now married, and the family are listed at 63 Uttoxeter New Road with their daughter Mabel and several servants.   From 1901 Norton is listed as Clerk of the Peace (in fact he was CP for Derbyshire County Council from 1894- 1930) and was living at The Knoll, Duffield Road with their 2 daughters and sons, Norton and James. Interestingly Norton is listed as born in Melbourne – did they move out there or was there a nursing home nearby?. Norton was awarded the OBE in 1920 though I haven’t been able to find the reasons for this award, perhaps it was awarded for his service to Derbyshire Council.

During the First World War he attended St Matthews Church Darley Abbey and is listed as part of the congregation in 1917. He retired from his duties as Clerk of the Peace in 1926 after 37 years’ service having suffered ill health following an operation.

Norton latterly moved to Lovat House in Cheltenham and died in 1934 aged 83. His estate was worth £51, 142, and this was left to his sons and son in law. By comparison, his daughters were each left £500. Norton was buried in St Matthews Churchyard though there is a memorial plaque in St Mary Church, Patrixborne, Kent alongside memorials dedicated to his parents and other Hallett Hughes family members.

Liz Lockwood

“Memories”

No Memories this month.    Please get in touch and share your memories.

Books etc. …..

We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.

An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.

Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.  

As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.

Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com

Alan Bradwell, Chair   –  16 October 2023

NEWSLETTER SEPTEMBER 2023 No 131

DARLEY ABBEY HISTORICAL GROUP

NEWSLETTER

September 2023. No. 131
Chairman & Editor :- Alan Bradwell (Tel. 557203)
Meetings
The Events and Programme of Talks for 2023, arranged by Marie, is on our website; or pick up a paper copy at the next meeting.
Our Talks Programme, for the near future is :-
(Back in the Village Hall with its smart new floor)

15 SEPTEMBER 2023 – ‘The History of Village Lock–ups.’ by Robert Mee.

20 OCTOBER 2023 – “The Tudor House” by Colin Stewart.

17 NOVEMBER 2023 – “The Gretna Girls and the Devil’s Porridge” by David Skillen.

Events
1 Your Committee met on 18th August to discuss the state of the Group, its finances and research. All is in good condition, from solid finances, a strong past and future Talks programme, an increased membership, an active research programme and good collaboration and communication with other Local History Groups from Talks to Visits. Your Chairman Alan announced he would be standing down in January after 9 years as Chairman. This is not due to ill-health or lack of interest, but to concentrate on other things, and to give (younger) Members the opportunity and honour to manage this thriving Group and perhaps take it in other directions. So grasp this opportunity to become a Committee Member or Chair.

2 Following a Talk by Alan to Buxton Local History Group on 17th May about Darley Abbey, they finally decided to visit Darley on a sunny Monday 1st September. Alan led the 8 members for 2 hours following Tony’s Trail Guide around the Park, the walled Gardens, the Mileash, Abbey Lane, Brick Row and Flat/Hill Square cottages to end at the Riverside gardens, all of which was new to them. We had no time left to visit the Mills.

Research
1 The Village Hall Lawn Hole, which is now fenced off because it is still sinking, had a geophysical resistivity survey done by Andy Austen from Repton Local History Group on Tuesday 1st August, to get more information about the depth and possible cause of the hole. Andy supervised a team of 6 DAHG helpers, who moved the probes, so that a vertical section (a Pseudo- Section) through the ground around The Hole was surveyed. He has produced a Report of the results, plus some results of a similar Pseudo- section from an earlier survey in the Scout-Hall yard.

  Alan has incorporated all these results into a DAHG Report No. 120, which adds other evidence from excavations of stone-work and coffins and dowsing surveys in the Abbey Yard / New Rd. area.   The resistivity sections show high resistance blocks (stone-work?) where the dowsing indicates buried foundations, which might be the possible location and layout of the ‘lost’ Abbey.  These features are just west of The Hole, which is about 2m. deep and not a well, and may be the cause of The Hole.

More tests are proposed, which will be followed by a JCB excavation when we have raised the necessary funds.

The Team get a briefing from Andy Austen on the techniques of the measurements.

The West – East survey line and 1m- spaced probes are shown running through the fenced Hole.

The Team begin measurements on the West – East Section.

The fenced Hole is clearly seen.

Relaxing after the Event

“Memories”
No Memories this month. Please get in touch and share your memories.

Books etc. …..
We have an ever-growing archive of books, Reports, maps and other memorabilia.
An updated book list will be issued in due course and made available electronically too.
Members (only) to note that any item can be borrowed by contacting Barrie through the group email address.
As you know all Booklets can be purchased from Graham’s Village Shop and via the website. These sell at the current Booklet price of £2.50 each (plus p & p, if required).

Use our DAHG email address to get in touch.

darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup@gmail.com

All emails are appropriately distributed.

Visit our website at: https://darleyabbeyhistoricalgroup.wordpress.com

Alan Bradwell, Chair – 10 September 2023